Monday, May 4, 2009

Spontaneous Road Trip

This past week was Spring Break #2 for me and my fellow M1 classmates.  We had endured the hardships of Neuro and were rewarded Wednesday - Friday off before tackling the beginning of the end of our first year medical school adventures: the Physiology block.   For the previous two months, I had planned on going to Chicago to visit my brother Andrew (aka mandyroo) who goes to school at Wheaton, and then go downtown to soak in the big city life.  My dreams came to a screeching halt about two weeks ago when I received the following message from my brother, and I quote: 

"Life is full of regret, and today, I must regret to inform you that I simply don't think you visiting me is going to work.  I am simply overrun with work and haven't the time.  Sorry."

My first thought was shock, because what kind of 21 year old male talks like that, but then I realized the gravity of what just occurred.  I no longer had anything exciting to do for my mini-break!  I figured I shouldn't complain about this, seeing as I did get the Spring Break #1 of a lifetime at Disney World.  Also, weighing in the fact that I needed to do a lot of busy work for my PCM class, maybe it wasn't the end of the world that I'd be "stuck" at home for a few days.  

Fast forward two weeks.  I had my finals last Monday and Tuesday.  I spent the next two days lounging around town, watching movies, eating, sleeping, hitting up Sam's Club, and hanging with the boy and fam (note: NOT doing PCM assignments).  I was having a decent enough time, then all of a sudden on Thursday evening I got the itch to travel, and no matter where I scratched, it wouldn't go away.  I convinced Ed (didn't take much) to start looking for cheap flights online.  We spent about an hour trying to find deals, and unfortunately the only thing we could find that was decently priced was to Orlando, but we had been there, done that 2 months prior.  So we axed the flight idea.  I started to sulk, but then Ed proposed just driving up to Chicago and doing our own thing, not even seeing Andrew, since it was obvious he was too busy.  I thought that sounded ludicrous, to go all that way and not see my brother, so I called Andrew up and asked if he would want to meet up with us, if only for a meal, if we decided to go.  He sounded very frustrated, but agreed to go to dinner with us, "but only for an hour".  I found out post-trip that he had actually called my mom and told her how mad he was that we were coming up.  He was incredibly too busy and stressed to entertain us on one of our whimsical adventures.  We Joneses never lack passion.  (I would feel bad about bothering him, but you'll see why I'm not later on in the post.)


Ed and I quickly packed our bags and got on the road that night.  We stayed with my other brother, Matthew, in Indy that evening, then got up and drove the rest of the way on Friday morning.  It was raining and kinda chilly afternoon, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise because not too many people were downtown that day.  We went shopping (spent too much money), found the bean (or whatever that sculpture thing is in the middle of downtown), took tons of pictures, and went to the art museum.  That night we ate dinner at Berghoff's - a German pub and supposedly the oldest restaurant in Chicago.  Then we went to our hotel and I passed out around 9:30 pm.  (Don't worry, Ed and I got separate rooms.)

Saturday's highlights were going to the Cub's game, sitting in traffic, listening to the Derby on the radio, eating some deep dish pizza, and seeing Wolverine.  We ended up spending about 4 hours with Andrew (which I would like to think was on his own accord), so I guess he wasn't as busy as he had thought.  Hmmmm, sounds like he gets way more stressed out about things than he should, just like his sister.  :)

We drove back to Lexington on Sunday, but Ed dropped me off in Indy to meet up with my mom so we could babysit Mary Beth (who by the way turned 1 last week!).  We hung out with the little pumpkin for about 6 hours while Matthew and Elizabeth studied for their finals, then mama and I came on home. 



A few things I took from the experience:

-Being spontaneous is fun, especially when you have a boyfriend who spoils you like crazy!
-Music is good for the soul, especially "The Rose" by Bette Midler.  It should be sung passionately and often.
-Watching a 1 year old sing  "Happy, Happy" as she dances is the cutest thing I've ever seen.  Makes me want to drop out of school and start procreating.
-I despise toll roads.
-I've developed a temper in the last year.  Don't know if it was instigated by the stresses of medical school, or if my eyes were just recently opened to the fact that I have always been like that. Either way, I'm working on it.
-Indiana is boring.  They need some mountains.  Or horse farms.
-Cubs fans are insane.  
-People spend heinous amounts of money on food at sporting events - hog dog ($4.25), medium coke ($4.50), beer ($6.25), bag of peanuts ($4), nachos ($5).  Also, giving a 9 month old a hot dog is not a good idea.  They WILL choke on it.
-iPhones take great pictures.
-I only like to see the famous paintings at art museums.  If it's not by Monet, Manet, Renoir, Picasso, or Van Gogh, then put it in a back corner.  Thanks.
-Parking for 7 hours downtown costs $35.  Really?  
-Twittering Coach Calipari provides me way too much joy.
-I definitely ain't no city girl.
-Men can multitask, however much they like to claim otherwise.  Case and point: Ed watches movies on his portable DVD player....while he's driving.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicago is such a great town. You should have eaten at Ed Debevic's and headed to a number of places in Greek Town. But hitting all the hot spots would make a follow-up trip less fun right?

Ed said...

I never thought a trip to Chicago could be so much fun. I guess I just needed the right traveling companion! Thanks for making the trip with me booberoos!

Andrew said...

these things are getting too long! i'll have to read it later.

Alex said...

Glad you had fun! And I agree 100% with the paintings point. $35 downtown? Thats just crazy!

Sarah Foster said...

love your blog! and i have a temper, too! let's go to therapy together

Andrew said...

I want to disagree. First of all, I don't recall telling Mom that I was upset that you were coming. However, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to quench your thirst for mandyroo. Also, the dinner idea was totally mine.

Anyways, I'm glad you had fun and enjoyed how I wrote that message to you.

Elizabeth said...

Is your next post going to give the origin and meaning of "booberoos?" :)