Friday, November 30, 2007

Going Against Cultural Norms

Every young, naïve, wide-eyed freshman lass assumes they will graduate college with a ring on their finger and a 10 year plan. Why else would women go to college? To actually get an education?…blasphemy!

I am 23. By this generation’s standards, I should already be married (or at least engaged). The average age of women in Kentucky for their first marriage is 22.8 years old. As a super senior this year, I have multiple friends who are already married and even more who are engaged. Yet, I am nowhere near this landmark. Not that I’m complaining. In fact, I am here to sanction the opposite.

My grandmother always asks me why I am not dating anyone. The other grandmother subtly hints that she hopes she is still alive when I get married. Personally, I can’t wait to get hitched. I know very few women who are not excited about starting a family*. I have dreams of curly-haired, blue-eyed kids running around the back yard while my ruggedly handsome husband** grills out, winking at me as I pass by. While all this sounds perfect, I am not ready to go there yet. I still have the world to conquer. I’m young, energetic, and adventurous. I don’t know what the future holds for me, whether it’s 4 more years of education in medical school or maybe trying to play professionally in Europe***, but I do know that I am perfectly content being single at this stage of my life.

I will be the first to admit that I am stubborn, selfish, and immature at times. I still need to figure out myself before I can share it with anyone else. Luckily, marriage isn’t even an option for me right now. But on the upside, I will be attending my first date party tonight (whoop!), although I am slightly worried that my ice-skating skills may be a little rusty.

While I will not be graduating in May with a diamond ring, I will be graduating with an Aggie ring on my finger...and I wouldn’t trade that for the world.


*with the exceptions of Paige and Allison
**preferably 6’2”, athletic, intelligent, funny, & an Aggie
***I am probably not good enough, but it sounds fun, eh?

5 comments:

William said...

The asterisks got complicated. But great post. Are you thinking about going to med school?

EJ Chang said...

Yeah, I was afraid the *'s may be too much, but I was just playing with different approaches. Thanks for the feedback though, that's what I need! But yes, I am applying to med school right now. I interview at the University of Kentucky in 2 weeks. Haven't heard back from any Texas schools yet, but I would like to stay down here if that was an option.

Lawrence said...

personally, i love girls who use footnotes, but whatev. hey, great blogging, liz. are you looking to become an author with your "that's what i need" comment?

best of luck with your interview and the end of the semester. i imagine it has perhaps 2 wks left including finals?

ps - what helpful grandma's you have.

Lawrence said...

wow. i'm a worthy blog. thanks!

Anonymous said...

amen sister!!!