Tuesday, June 3, 2008

All-American...pssh

I have reached a point in my post-college athlete career where I am truly a has-been. Before, I liked to joke about it, but deep down I knew I could step onto the A&M field and contribute to the team. But that is not the case any more. I am now in the worst shape of my life. What used to be rock-hard abs, killer quads, and ripped arms are now nothing but flab. I haven't worked out in well over two months. You probably think I'm kidding. Well I'm not. The last time I lifted weights was in January. The last time I got out and jogged was in February, when Justin coaxed me into running the 5K at GLOW by telling me he expected more from a D1 athlete. So of course I wasn't going to take that trash talk...I stepped up to the plate and ran. And proceeded to make a complete fool of myself. Long distance running is the bane of my existence.

I've been spoiled being able to rely on my sport to keep me in shape. This is what makes soccer superior to every other sport. While I do feel like many sports out there require endurance to play at your peak (ie football or baseball), you don't get naturally fit just playing the sport. I may be biased, but I believe soccer players are the most complete athletes - heart, lungs, mind, and muscular strength. I want to get back to that. I need to get back to that. My self-esteem has plummeted in the last 6 months, especially when people bring up the fact that I am a Strength and Conditioning All-American. It's true, I was (am). But I am nothing but an charlatan now. So it's time to suck up my distaste for running and just do it.

I'll start tomorrow.

7 comments:

mike wilkins said...

you don't think natural conditioning comes from tennis and basketball?? come on, ej ... don't be a hater ...

i share your distaste for running. sorry, hatred. just wait 'til you're 40 and then we can talk about flab.

loved the research post, by the way. welcome to my world (although i'm sure i'm cooler than your new doctor friend). :)

hope l-town is treating you right.

Anonymous said...

For once in my life I can say that I have run more than you in the last month! That's a little weird for me!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if merely heart, lungs, mind, and muscular strength would define a complete athlete, the latter being a bit vague. Using your definition, I might have to argue that swimmers would be the most complete athlete. That is, of course, ignoring eye-hand/foot coordination, muscle explosiveness (not total strength), balance, and overall transferability of skills to other athletic contests.

Anonymous said...

So, 2 days later; how is your new resolution holding?

EJ Chang said...

good news: my six pack is back.

Mike West said...

I think NBA players are the best athletes in the world. When you factor in their size 6'8" on the average and the things they can do on the court plus a 100 + game schedule including playoffs. I think they win hands down; even if you want to say they don't play hard in the regular season. Be thankful you have been able to play all these years. I blew my knee out in high school and my whole career was ended instantly. Sitting on the sidelines is NOT fun. You were one of the best high school athletes I ever saw. Once an athlete always an athlete. Get back out there!

Mike West said...

By the way, I finally got around to adding your blog link to my blog. That means you should get an additional hit on your blog every six months.