Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Fleeting Dream

I guess it's time for me to give up on one of my dreams that I've held so passionately to the past 3 years: it looks as if I will not be marrying an Aggie. Hopefully my Aggie friends who read this will sympathize with me on this fact, because we are really the only ones that truly understand and grasp how special it is to be an Aggie. But I'm sure all my unfortunate, I mean non-Aggie, friends out there are probably rolling their eyes and thinking I take this whole A&M thing too far.

Today in my Prep anatomy course that I am taking (I've already been labeled as one of the nine "stupid" kids in my med school class who has to take this Prep course while the rest of our class is enjoying their summers), I told the guy I was sitting next to that I graduated from A&M. He responds, "A&M?". I had to then explain that I mean "Texas A&M", and then he just nodded his head, like I might as well have said I graduated from Wyoming. People up here have no idea about Aggieland. It kills me. I'm suffocating up here in Wildcat country. The ignorance is alarming.

I wear my Aggie ring proudly every day. I still carry around my A&M Nike soccer backpack, and today I wore my Texas A&M Soccer rain gear. I really am a walking billboard for my alma mater. And I don't see that changing any time soon. But I am starting to see that not only do people not care that I graduated from A&M, but many find it annoying that I would even sport anything other than UK gear around campus. They hate when I whoop. They don't want to hear how magical Kyle Field is. Really, the only positive feedback I get from people is, "Oh, we stole Billy G from y'all." Of course, I take full credit for that.

So I am throwing in the towel for my dream of an Aggie marriage, of sawing varsity's horns off at the wedding reception, of raising little future Ags who want to follow in their parents footsteps, and of having A&M paraphernalia plastered all over my walls in my house. It's a sad day for me. I feel defeated.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

No need to give up your dream... in 4 years when you come back to Houston to do your Residency in the Med Center you will once again be surrounded by Aggies and will find the man of your dreams. Until then wear that Aggie gear proudly! WHOOP and GIG EM!

J Dub said...

I doubt people in "Aggieland" appreciate the greatness that is the University of Kentucky. You can't expect people in Lexington to care about Texas A&M. You do still like UK, don't you? The Cats are pretty special, in my opinion.

J Dub said...

Don't get me wrong, I like A&M...they're my favorite Texas school. Just sayin that you should appreciate the Cats too.

Sarah Foster said...

Howdy! You know how many great single Ags are still out in the big world? They are just waitin' to find the perfect one: YOU! And we WILL saw varsity's horns off at your wedding someday! Thanks and Gig 'em.

JSMcGuire said...

Not to dash your dream...but being married to an Aggie isn't all it's cracked up to be! LOL. Just kidding! ;) We did saw varsity's horns off at our reception and my Sooner friends HATED it. I love A&M (obviously not to the extent of someone who actually attended A&M and I'm a Hog through and through) but I'm sure an Aggie will darken your doorstep before you throw in the towel. Keep sportin' your Aggie pride girl...I HATE the Cats!!!! I'll send you an Arkansas shirt if you'd like. ;)

Anonymous said...

Shari wasn't an Aggie when I met her, but we still had an Aggie wedding. Bonfire grooms cake and the Aggie War Hymn at our reception.

Don't give up hope though. If you don't marry an Aggie, make him an Aggie! Let me know when the blessed day comes along and I'll be there in my maroon tuxedo whoopin at the first "I do"!

Anonymous said...

I've never known you to give up on something so quickly. I also think Justin made some great point, listen to him.

EJ Chang said...

Justin and Matthew...you are mistaken: people in Texas DO appreciate UK basketball and know of the storied tradition. And obviously I appreciate UK basketball also (and a little bit of football), but I really do think that those 2 sports are all UK has to offer in the "being a special school" department. Being an Aggie is so much more than going to a football game on Saturday afternoon. It's the 8000 fans that show up to a women's soccer game. It's yell practice, muster, silver taps, big event, ring day, bonfire, beating the hell outta t.u., and saying "howdy" to everyone you see. It's the 400,000+ Aggies that are life-long, dedicated members of the Association of Former Students. It's whooping any time you have something remotely good happen in your life.

BUT, with that being said, I am not going to sit here and pout about not being in Aggieland any more. I will fully embrace UK, and I plan on going to every possible sporting event I can. So here's to the transition from College Station to Lexington. GO CATS!

Anonymous said...

You aren't losing an alma matar, you are gaining a second one!! You get to bleed maroon AND blue.

J Dub said...

Go Cats is right.

But A&M sure sounds like it would've been a cool place to go.