Thursday, March 19, 2009

The most wonderful time of the year?

March is typically the pinnacle of fun for me throughout my year.  The culmination of spring break, warm weather lurking around the corner, daffodils blooming, birds chirping, and most of all, March Madness brings joy to my soul.  But this year it's just different.  Spring break was in February.  The warm weather actually puts a damper on my day because on days like yesterday, where it was 68 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, I was inside the library studying instead of playing tennis or disc golf.  And March Madness just isn't very exciting when your team didn't even make the cut.  (It's harder to get amped for the NIT than the NCAA's).  

In fact, I have a confession.  I didn't even look at a bracket this year.  I have filled out a bracket every year since I was 10.  I've never entered it into a pool, but I've done it for my own pleasure and satisfaction.  And I was actually very realistic in my picks.  I never chose UK to go farther than I thought they deserved.  (I want to make note though that up until the last few years, that still meant they were going to at least the Elite 8...oh how times have changed.)  But this year, I have absolutely no idea who made the tournament and who is playing who except for what I read in Facebook statuses.  I now know A&M is playing BYU (and apparently B.O. chose the mormons over the Ags...typical).  And I know that UofL got the overall #1 seed, which pains my soul in itself, but what's even worse is seeing all these Cats fans switching to their side now.  

But you know what, I'm (wo)man enough to let go of my personal disgust with UK's disappointing season and still enjoy this tournament.  It really is a magical time of year - all the upsets, the cinderella teams, the school spirit, the birthing of heroes.  I love it.  It's a beautiful thing in the sports world.  Yet, this year, I will be unable to enjoy it.  I am knee deep in a tough Neuroscience block, and I can't even take an hour out of my day to eat, much less watch basketball from noon - midnight every day this weekend and next.  

For those of you who get to watch it, soak it in extra for me!  I am there next to you in spirit, cheering for the underdog.  

Gig 'em Ags.  BTHO byu!

No comments: