Sunday, June 21, 2009

Confession

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.  It has been 24 years since my last confession."

I lied to a homeless man this past weekend, at a Christian Medical and Dental Association function of all places.  We were having a BBQ at a local park and the man came up asking for some water.  We willingly obliged and then offered him food since we had more than enough.  He took that as an invitation to sit at our picnic tables for the next 2 hours and eat to his heart's content (which we were perfectly fine with).  But near the end when we started to clean up, he started sweet talking some of the girls.  As I handed a full plate of food to him, he asked me if I was married.  Innocent enough question, I suppose.  But I immediately went into panic mode and responded, "Yeah, I belong that that kid over there" and pointed to Ed.  At first I thought it was no big deal, answering that way for my own protection.  But then the guilt started setting in, and my conscience attacked me.  A lie is a lie, no matter what the situation.  I was trying to validate my sin by claiming my safety was compromised, but in reality, me answering, "no not yet, but I am lucky enough to be dating that handsome guy over there" would have done the same trick, and I would be guilt-free right now. 

"So Father, how many Hail Mary's do I owe you?"


1 comment:

Unknown said...

heehee! you called me "handsome!"