Thursday, July 9, 2009

Finding the positive

I learned an incredible amount of information this past year, more than I thought humanly possible. I must also admit that most of it has left my long term memory bank, but I am sure it will come back quickly when I start studying for boards next summer (this is my new optimistic side). One of the greatest things I learned was about myself: I am most definitely not perfect. Now, now...don't freak out on me...I never thought that I was actually perfect, but I did have a pretty high self-esteem...you know, Aggie soccer babe, good grades, great friends, All-American accolades...a fairly fabulous life. Then as much of you know from my numerous self-defeating, ranting blogs over the past 11 months, I was greatly humbled this year. I had to get used to the B average, to not being the best at everything I do, to not being in shape and have a rockin' bod, and had to learn how to set lower goals and standards. While you may think that is pathetic of me, it had to be done for my sanity. I would have been miserable if I had not learned to find joy and satisfaction in a B.

But the point of this blog post is not to be self-deprecating. I want to talk about the positive aspects of being mediocre. I played soccer for the first time last night in 8 months. I stepped on the field with low expectations, and didn't even live up to those. I am in horrible shape. I have lost my quick first step. And let's not even talk about my first touch. It really was a pathetic display of athleticism (which someone pointed out by saying "I thought you were a D1 athlete?" after I whiffed the ball). Surprisingly, I walked off the field afterwards like nothing had happened. After 11 months of being brutally beaten by med school (particularly biochem), I am so used to be a loser and being mediocre that my crazy competitiveness has gone. Out the window. Vanquished. I never thought it would happen, but it has. And praise the Lord, because my competitiveness was just a wee bit over the top.

I have now reached a healthy level of aggression, and I am that much wiser because of it. And you can trust me, because I'm 1/4 of a doctor. :)



6 comments:

Parker said...

You are not alone in those thoughts and realizations... I really liked your post! Isn't it almost freeing to learn all that?

Anonymous said...

Competive nature is what makes good people great! You don't have to be an A student to be a great doctor. You don't have to be brilliant to be very successful, but you do have to have an awesome competitive drive. Realizing you can't do it all is important, but pushing yourself to be the best is even more important!

Anonymous said...

Awesome competitive drive is what makes good people annoying. To death with competition!

Mike West said...

Good post. You are learning "contentment" in all circumstances. A tough lesson for all of us, especially for highly competitive people.

Unknown said...

competition, however unfortunate and annoying, breeds excellence and remains necessary. though on occasion we falter, the ability to accept our infallibility without acquiescing to mediocrity serves as the key to success. kudos to you for discovering this elusive secret! as you know, i too found this year quite humbling ...

Alex said...

quite possibly your best post yet!