Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Me? Uncultured?

Yesterday my beau hunk got off of work early at Ft. Knox so he decided to drive up to Lexington to spend a few hours with me before driving back that night. What a doll. We decided to have a quiet night in at his place, so we headed to Yu Yu Asian Market to buy some goods, in hopes of concocting the ultimate Asian meal. After selecting the perfect tofu, spices, and dumplings, we went to the check out lane. Not surprisingly, I got distracted by the assortments of Asian candies nearby. My eye was drawn to a small 6 oz bottle of Korean Ginseng Drink. I don't really know what ginseng is, but it seems to be in a lot of health drinks, so I figured it couldn't hurt. Plus, it was Korean, so I figured Ed would know what it is. So I held one up and asked Ed if he wanted it. To my astonishment, he said no. Ed never turns down anything, especially gustatory items, so I asked if he was sure, and he confirmed his answer. I put it away and went on my way, but Ed had a funny look on his face. As we walked out the door, he began laughing then explained to me what had just taken place. Apparently in Asian cultures, that drink is used as an aphrodisiac! When I unabashedly asked him in front of everyone if he wanted the drink, the guy at the checking out started chuckling under his breath. You live, you learn. Apparently you don't have to go to another country to make a cultural mistake! I should have known better, I lived in Taiwan for 2 years (although I was much too young to know the secrets of aphrodisiacs).

At least I made some mean Mapo Tofu last night. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh lands! yes, it took all i had to stop from laughing after seeing the reaction from the cashier! on a different note, i REALLY enjoyed the mapo tofu! just like mom used to make it! honestly!

Alex said...

Oh my lands... as Momma Jones would say... hilarious! Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one.