Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Father's Daughter (kinda)

My father wears many hats - family man, surgeon, sports fanatic, and gardener to name a few.  While rotating through the ENT department as part of my surgery course this past spring, all of his residents kept commenting that my father is a workaholic.  I was completely shocked by this, since I feel like he was always around while growing up.  Now I will be the first to admit that my father is a VERY hard worker, but I have always admired how efficient he is with his work.  For him, it's quality, not quantity.  He was able to start up and effectively manage the ENT department at UK, all the while coaching my soccer and basketball teams (along with my brothers'), staying up to date with all the UK basketball news, and traveling with me every weekend to my soccer tournaments.  Furthermore, we always had the most beautiful yard in the neighborhood - unbelievable rose gardens, perfectly trimmed hedges, as well as a pretty substantial vegetable garden.  What can I say, I guess my dad is Superman.  And this now explains why I had such high expectations for my future mate.  Don't worry, Ed meets all of these.  He and my father are eerily similar.

While I unfortunately did not inherit my father's efficiency or intelligence, I did inherit his gardening affinity (and his steady surgical hand, according to some other attendings and residents, hehe).  I planted a few herbs and veggies in my back yard earlier this year and at the time thought little of it.  If they produced, then great, but I wasn't going to get into it like my dad.  I had more important things to do than spend hours in the yard every day.  But then before I knew it, I found myself going out to water the garden every day and marvel in how the plants grew.  They were my own little creations and I started to take ownership.  Then BAM, they started producing veggies, and my life has been turned upside down.  There is something so special about going out to your backyard to pick herbs or veggies and then serving them with dinner a few hours later.  Not only does it save you time and money, but it's as "organic" as you can get - nothing but fresh water and love have touched these.  The only problem I've had so far is my tomato plants are not cooperating with me.  They keep growing taller and stronger, but have no buds on them.  I think I planted them in a spot that doesn't get enough direct sunlight.  Boo.  Anyway, here are some pictures for you to enjoy. 


My garden now (left) compared to at the beginning of the summer (right).
 This is supposed to turn into a red bell pepper.  Mmm mmm.

Watermelon!!!!


Green onions, anyone?  Use these to make mapo tofu all the time.

Okra is in bloom.  Ed loves some fried okra.


Parsley, which I always pronounce as "parzley" and it drives my mother crazy.  :)

I have cucumbers growing out of my ears.  Let me know if you want any - they are crisp and delicious.  

Mint - what I use the most from my garden.  Nothing like mama's Sweet Mint Tea recipe for a hot summer day.

Sweet, succulent, to die for basil.  Gosh I love this stuff.
Thyme is delightful.

Oregano.  This is taking over my garden and I barely ever us it.  I need to cook more Italian food I suppose.

Needless to say, I'm hooked to gardening, and all thanks goes to my pops.  Love you, Dad.  You really are the best father in the world.  You're obviously doing something right if people at home think you're always home and people at work think you're always at work.  You need to teach me how to be in two places at once!  :)

No comments: