Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Funkdified

I need to leave College Station. And I don't mean leave as in a weekend getaway (which I am doing tomorrow...going to KY for a med school interview at UofL), but leave as in go away for good. I feel like my time here is done. I am too old to be here. A majority of my friends have graduated, and I am now realizing that I shouldn't be here any more either. I have spent 2 out of the 3 weekends this semester away, and already have 3 more traveling weekends planned in the next month. Soccer was what was keeping me here, my identity, my stronghold, but now that that is over, my niche in Aggie society has vanished.

What I don't understand is why the unexpected change of mood for me? It's not senioritis...heck, I have 4 more years of medical school ahead of me. A month ago I would have told you how I am not ready to leave here, how jealous I am of every other Aggie who gets to spend a full college career here, unlike me who transferred in after my sophomore year. Now, I'm itching to graduate. I think it boils down to me being 23 and missing hanging out with people my own age.

A&M has been good to me. No, great to me. But it's time to move on.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do not blame you one bit. There is a time when a place wears on you, and you get all you need out of it. I want to graduate and get out, but it still fun to hang around from time to time. Your right, there is not many your age around college station.

Anonymous said...

I agree, too. I felt it during my "victory lap" semester. I never thought I would outgrow CS and my beloved Aggieland but there is a lot out there in the world (not trying to play up my current situation at all). I think leaving made me appreciate a lot of things I couldn't while I was in CS. And by that I mean both in CS and away from it. Good, poignant entry!

Sarah Foster said...

I am completely shocked but at the same time understand. Atleast you feel this way now and not 8 months ago. Just enjoy the remainder, it'll be gone so soon. Spring semester always flys by! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You can and will always be an Aggie, even if it isn't in CS!!

roj

Anonymous said...

:-( I don't want you to leave me!

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way... but now that I'm gone, I wish I was back. So it's complicated.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that you posted on this blog that you were so relieved to be back in College Station?

I completely understand what you are going through, there reaches a point where you must move on to new and greater things. While college is a wonderful time in a young persons life, the part after it is even better! (A little more work, but much more rewarding!)

mike wilkins said...

EJ, if you were content to be in College Station for the rest of your life at the age of 23, I would be seriously, seriously worried about you.

The world is a big place. And you will be carpe-ing some serious diem in it.

Hang in there ...
mw

Kent Gray said...

Hang in there EJ JONES. I felt the same way after studying there for 5 years and leaving my Young life niche. My last 2 semesters I felt like I was in high school again, bc everywhere I went I saw a familiar face.

Man I wish me and the gang could paint your name across our chests/shirts just one more time. That would cheer you up.

Kay Costilow said...

awk ej ...don't rush it too much. soak up your last few months. the day will come you wish you were still there!!