Friday, February 22, 2008

Never Have I Ever

This past summer I made a list of a few things I've never done before and made it my "About Me" section on Facebook. Some of you may recall this list, but as for my other readers who: a) do not have facebook, b) do not stalk me on facebook, or c) just don't really care, I am here to remind you of these things and give you an update on them. I made a goal to accomplish all of these things in the next year. I was not 100% successful, but hey, life is about the journey.

  1. I have never had a kolache. -> To my readers outside the state of Texas, this probably means nothing to you, but if you admit to this down in this here part of the country, it's like a sin. As soon as I put this on facebook, I had two friends in the next week randomly surprise me with kolaches. They were good, but I haven't had them again since this summer. A wee bit over-rated if you ask me. But if you want to buy some for me, I'll eat them! (Never was the type to turn down food.)
  2. I have never had a date to Yell Practice. -> Yell Practice, for my non-Aggie friends, is one of the many treasured traditions at Texas A&M. About 25,000 students show up at Kyle Field at midnight the night before a football game to practice our yells for the game the next day. The reason you take a date is because near the end of the evening, all the lights are shut off at Kyle Field and you are supposed to "mug down" with your date (practice kissing them so that when our boys score a touchdown the next day, we will look good kissing our dates in front of the cameras). Well unfortunately, I still never attended a Yell Practice with a date. Tis true...bad bull, I know. BUT, I was asked to go with a friend of mine who's in the band, but was unable to accompany him due to prior plans that weekend. Hopefully I can come back some day with a significant other so that I can experience the true essence of a Fightin' Texas Aggie mug down.
  3. I have never read a book longer than 500 pages. -> I am proud to say that this is no longer true. I just finished the best book I've ever read, Lonesome Dove. I laughed, I cried, I felt like I was part of the story (I would definitely be Clara if I got to choose). Anyway, I am currently depressed that I finished the book because I wanted the story to never end.
  4. I have never scored a goal off of a header in my 18 years of playing soccer. -> All I have to say about that is...I am PATHETIC. (Heading does hurt, don't believe those who say it doesn't...plus my mama always told me it wasn't worth losing all those brain cells just to hit the stupid ball with my head. "Just jump and then duck, so it looks like you're trying but you won't damage your IQ!" So I listened to my mama; I'm such a good baby girl!)
  5. I have never read any of the books or seen any of the Harry Potter movies. -> The closest I've gotten to anything Harry Potter is this. And it's definitely not making me want to invest any time in that series. (please follow that link, it's well worth your time).
  6. I have never been in love. -> Nope, nothing has changed in the love department in almost a year. *sigh*

4 comments:

Sarah Foster said...

EJ, thanks for the update since at least 2 of the reasons why you wrote it pertained to me! Gone With The Wind should be your next book, kolaches truly are amazing if you get them at the right place, someday you will have a date to Yell Practice with the man of your dreams and if you play soccer in France this summer (with me, but no soccer, hahah) you will fo sho score from a header! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I have never had a kolache and I AM from Texas so you shouldn't feel bad.
So glad you are finally done with that book so I can finally read what you have been raving about almost every night for months now!

Lawrence said...

that can't be real - the broom sport. i'm sorry to say this but i bet some asbury students would get on that bus.

thanks for reading the blog. we've already mentioned the slight drug of other people's comments so mine little line was just asking for it. manipulation. all right!

lists like yours are fun. way to go. what's sarah talking about with you and la france and le foot?

Rachel said...

LOL... I love your mama and her soccer heading beliefs!!