Saturday, May 17, 2008

You should see the other guy...

Well I am going to go ahead and let the cat out of the bag. Why? Because I don't feel like I have anything to hide. Nothing to be embarrassed of here. I broke my nose three times throughout my athletic career: when I was twelve in a soccer game, when I was a senior in high school (by Shannon Novosell...the 7 foot freak that played for Lexington Catholic who elbowed me when going up for a rebound in basketball), and the final time being this past soccer season during the warm up (yes, warm up) against Texas Tech (we were scrimmaging and our goalie punted it and it was coming towards me and I was sitting there waiting for it, preparing to take it down with my chest, when Micah Stephens pushed me last second in the back and the ball hit me straight in the face). There were tears all three times. Yet, no blood. But the damage was still done, and I have been living with a crooked nose for 11 years.


Now that my illustrious soccer career is complete and I am about to head out to a whole new world of medicine (which I can only imagine to be identical to Grey's Anatomy, which means if I am going to get McDreamy, I gotta bring my A game), my parents and I decided it was the perfect time to get my nose fixed. So this past Tuesday I got it done. It was quite an odd sensation waking up in the middle of surgery, feeling them pounding away at my nose, just like in the movies. But I was enjoying it too much to say anything, so I laid there with my eyes closed and just cherished the moment. But the awkward part came when I had to decide how long it was appropriate to pretend like I was still drugged up and eventually come to. Apparently I did it well because I heard the doctor tell my mother afterwards that "everything went well, she slept right through it all!".


So this week I've been laying low, watching movies, taking insane amounts of pills, sleeping a ton, throwing up, and facebooking an embarrassing amount of my life away. I can't talk well because my face is still numb, so I've ignored most calls. Text if you want to contact me. :)


But just for your entertainment, I will show a picture of what I look like. This was taken a few days ago, and the swelling and bruising have both gone down a bit. But feel free to laugh. I would too if it were physically possible. Good thing is, you shouldn't even be able to tell a difference when you see me next because it's so subtle, but I will have my straight nose back. Yay!

4 comments:

Sarah Foster said...

EJ! Ahh, I wish I could come visit you. In a few more days try to take another picture because this one just doesn't look enough like EJ to me! You are such a warrior and I wish I had broken something. It makes you way cooler. Feel better NOW!

Mike said...

not gonna lie, the first that came to my mind was Rocky saying, "Yo Adrien, I did it!"

i'm a jerk. but i will always contend that i never even noticed it even when you pointed it out.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted an NJ. I'm jealous

Lyndsey said...

That doesnt even look like you! I laughed out loud for a good minute straight (but only because you gave me permission to) :)

I hope you get better soon! you had a beautiful nose before!