Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The New Pad


Location, location, location. That's what my new apartment is screaming, besides ghetto, ghetto, ghetto. I just moved in to my new pad this past weekend, thanks to the much needed and appreciated help by my family. I am a 90 second walk to my classroom building, a 3 minute walk to my mom's and dad's clinics, and a 7 minute walk to my gross/histo labs in the main hospital. I can literally role out of bed in the mornings and not have to struggle with traffic, parking, shuttling, etc. Whoop!

While the location is superb, the area of town is not stellar. There is a constant flux of homeless people walking up and down the streets, searching through our dumpsters, and whistling at me. I don't exactly feel safe, but hopefully I will get used to it. There are 5 med students living in the same complex I am, so we will probably walk together at nights.

The good news is that my apartment is very clean - new carpet, new tile, newly painted walls, new toilet seat, and supposedly, soon to be installed, new doors. Yet, somehow, the apartment still reeks of smoke. I thought it would go away after leaving the windows/doors open all day on Saturday as we were moving and then putting in some plug-ins. But all my effort has been in vain. I get hit in the face with the stench of smoke every time I walk in to my apartment, and my clothes are starting to smell like it too. This is a crisis like none other. Something must be done to change it immediately. Also, I don't have a dishwasher or a washer/dryer. And I have a wall AC unit. I totally feel like I'm roughing it, but I will survive! :)

Thus far, living solo has been an enjoyable experience. I loved getting to come up with the decorating themes and organizing the furniture as I like. Pictures will come later once everything in my apartment is organized and pictures are hung, but my living room/dining area is a Texas theme (as in the state, not the university, with multiple A&M things), and my bedroom is a Greek Isle theme, mostly blue and white with bright pinks and yellows to accent it. It's my little Mediterranean oasis.

Well I'm off to grab some pad thai with my mom for lunch. I think I am going to get used to this being close to home thing!

4 comments:

Sarah Foster said...

Your apt. didn't seem ghetto when I visited ya. It looks better in person. So glad you didn't paint the walls this year :) hehe

Anonymous said...

if you're living it up ghetto fabulous, you'll need a nice threat deterrent system in order to maintain true ghetto status. I'd recommend a Remington or Mossberg shotgun. stay true homey!

Anonymous said...

Pad Thai... mmm mmm!

Mike West said...

Quick advice. Remove your address from this post.