Friday, August 29, 2008

Sarah Palin - McCain's Running Mate


I was shocked when I got the text this morning from my dad that McCain had chosen a female running mate. My first reaction was, "what was he thinking?!" But when I got home and looked up who this Sarah Palin lady was, I quickly jumped to the other side of the boat. Pain is a strong conservative, which will be great to balance out McCain's moderate stance. She's a woman, which will bring in some of those female voters out there who buy in to the "we need a woman in power" hysteria that Clinton had going for her. As Mike Huckabee said in an interview earlier today, "Governor Palin ... will remind women that if they are not welcome on the Democrat's ticket, they have a place with Republicans." She's also very young (44), which brings the McCain ticket to an average age of 58, while BO's is 56. She has strong morals, with a very strong stance on pro-life, which will appease the Christian right. And even more appealing to me, is the fact that she seems so down to earth, like a normal American mom. Just look at the picture!
My only hesitancy with her is that she is not a big name on the national stage. She just became governor of Alaska two years ago, so the experience is somewhat lacking. But I think McCain more than makes up for that. Also, her youngest child has Downs Syndrome, so with having a special needs child, along with 4 other children, how much time and energy will she truly be able to devote to Washington? But I am not going to hold her family against her. I appreciate the fact that she is not a typical politician that has devoted her whole life to gaining power. She has other priorities. Balance, my friends, is key.
So here we go. I'm now officially excited about the McCain/Palin ticket. McCain put a smashing on BO in the Rick Warren interview, and I think his choice as running mate will be quite a popular choice among the conservatives of this great country. He's on the rise.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

This pick exceeded my expectations! I think it is just what McCain needed! I am thrilled!!!

Mike West said...

McCain hit a home run and has the democrats on their heels. I predict a substantial McCain win.

JSMcGuire said...

I thought you might enjoy this. :) And I couldn't agree more with your post! She had my vote when I found out she was a basketball player...AND her son is in the military. :)

"As your doctor starts to perform open heart surgery he tells you he has been doing this for 143 days.
As your plane pulls away from the terminal the pilot comes on the public address system and announces he has been flying 747"s for 143 days.
Would you hire a lawyer to defend you 143 days out of law school?
Interesting when it's put into perspective, isn't it? Just think how great a professional of any kind you could be with only 143 days of experience! People want change so badly? . . . . Maybe we should lower the experience requirement for doctors, lawyers, airline pilots, etc.
This would cause some change!

Obama's 143 Days of Senate Experience - Just how much Senate experience does Barack Obama have in terms of actual work days? Not much. From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United States Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory Committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working.
The one single Senate committee that he headed never even met once. After 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World.

Our children spend more time in pre-school getting ready for kindergarten."

Daniel W said...

doesn't your admitting that he's on the rise necessarily mean that he's coming up... from below / behind?

you didn't comment on her 17 year old daughter?! Everyone makes mistakes... some are just bigger than others... right?

Daniel W said...

texas and arkansas governors have 143 days LESS experience in the federal government... bringing their total to 0 days in congress...

yet democrats, and republicans felt it was the best opportunity to TWICE nominate these men as president of the united states. federal government experience, if you are either a clinton or bush fan, shouldn't matter at all...

i suppose it might be hypocritical to play the "experience card" if you voted for bush or clinton... twice. each.

EJ Chang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EJ Chang said...

McCain was behind in the points, at least that's what I had always been told. So yes, I am saying that he is now gaining momentum and actually has a shot at winning this election. My opinion only.

At the time I wrote this, the pregnancy had not come out. Obviously I'm not throwing a congratulations party about the daughter being pregnant, but what can you do about it now? At least they didn't abort it.

Also, about the "lack of experience" comment (I'm not sure exactly where you were going with it, but I will try to respond), I don't think experience has to be in Washington necessarily. I think it's more important that the candidate has proven themself as a leader, capable of changing the current situations in whatever arena they may be in. I believe Palin has done that for Alaska. I have yet to hear anything significant that Obama has done, besides the nuke thing that any Tom, Dick, or Harry would have also "stepped across party lines" to orchestrate. Give me one American that does want nukes in the hands of our enemies!

Thanks and gig 'em.

McCain/Palin '08

God bless.