Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss

I got more action today than I have in my entire life. Today in class we dissected the penis. I was quite hesitant to actively partake in the dissection, allowing my partners to be hands on while I stood from a distance, soaking it all in. Of course we had the obligatory jokester in the group, making perverted comment one after another throughout the entire lab. I, on the other hand, was the most quiet I had been all semester. Not only because it's a foreign object to me, but because I knew I was in a room of people who's average age is probably 25, and realistically, I am probably the most ignorant about this subject than anyone else in the room.

At the end of lab, one of my friends, Mary, walked up to me and asked me if I could explain to her the difference between a circumcised vs uncircumcised penis anatomically. I thought about it, then I realized that I couldn't. I know how to explain it to someone, but I don't think I could identify it on an actual human. Unashamed, Mary asks the next closest person, Reggie, if he could explain it. He cracks up, then realized quickly that both Mary and I were serious. He could not believe it, started making a scene, attracting more attention to us. Luckily, Mary quickly ended his parade by saying "Hey, I'm not embarrassed by this fact. I truly just want you to show me because as a physician, I am going to need to know the difference." Reggie then got the picture and tried to show us, but did a poor job because Mary and I left still trying to visualize the uncircumcised. Some other guys overheard us and told us just to google it. Yeah, don't know about that. I'll probably just stick to Netters.

I am greatly looking forward to the day that as a physician, I can look at both female and male genitalia and not feel awkward. I have a feeling it's going to be a long road. I probably shouldn't go into gynecology or urology.

3 comments:

Alex said...

oh my

Sarah Foster said...

yeah...oh my

Anonymous said...

i had to clean a 90 year old womans' downstairs the other day, at least carl is dead