Sunday, September 21, 2008

One Year Anniversary

This morning in church, as I was sitting down after the praise & worship, the guy in front of me put his arm around his wife's shoulder. No big deal, you're thinking, except for the fact that as he did so, I saw the huge, shining, beautiful Aggie ring on his right ring finger. My face immediately lit up. Ashley, sitting next to me, saw me staring at his ring and she was quick in making the connection (which I was quite impressed, seeing as she knows very little about Texas A&M). She leaned over and whispered to me that I should pound him, right then and there, with my Aggie ring. I withstood the temptation and decided to wait until after the service to say anything. I noticed the wife also had an Aggie ring on, which brought an insurmountable amount of joy to my morning. Aggie marriages, a gift from God.

"Do I see some Aggie rings?" I leaned over and said to them once the service was over.

Confused, but kindly, they respond "why yes you do."

"Well I'm Elisabeth Jones, Class of '07. So nice to meet you."

We stood there and talked for a bit. They were both Class of '89. The wife is from Bardstown, which is how they ended back up here in Kentucky. The husband is a pediatrician at UK, and I had actually seen his car parked at the hospital many times, proudly displaying the Association of Former Students bumper sticker. I didn't admit this to him, but I also love his other bumper sticker, "I used to be cool." But I should have, because I would have let him know that he still is cool. Wearing his Aggie ring every day, in a community that knows nothing about what it means and stands for, is cool in my book.

"I'll see you on the rounds! Good luck until then!", he says to me as we walk out of church.

God bless Aggie rings.


Picture: The day I got my Aggie ring. Exactly one year ago from today. Happy anniversary to me!

5 comments:

Alex said...

LOVE the Aggie Network! Happy Anniversary to us! Weird to think it's been a year already!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So I was catching up on your blog this afternoon....

Then we went to church this evening and they have a few minutes where a member gets up and shares about themselves so you get to know them better, etc. Well... tonight's couple just so happened to both be from Texas... go to A&M... and are now married, up here workin on chickens for their doctorates! :) I could tell she had her Aggie ring on, but I don't think he was still wearing his. I just thought that was pretty ironic with reading your blog an hour before that!!

Sarah Foster said...

I'll whoop to that!!!!! :)

I was driving behind a guy with an Aggie bumper sticker on his car this morning and he pulled into his driveway. I was like, "Should I say anything?" So I rolled down the passenger window and strained my neck awkwardly around the front seat and said, "Did you go to A&M???" He said he was from Houston and a huge fan, etc. It was fun! Way to say something to them :)

Daniel W said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

yes