Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Birthdays

Birthdays don't make sense to me. I want them to because I love them so much, but really, they aren't anything special. Who came up with the idea of celebrating them? Here's my problem with them: 1. everyone has a birthday, and chances are you share your birthday with at least a few of your friends (I can name 5 of my friends who were all born on October 14th) - so you really aren't "special" on your "special day", 2. you did nothing/had no influence on your day of birth. If anything, all birthdays should be spent thanking your mother for going through all the pain and trouble of bringing you into this world. 3. No one really cares when it's your birthday, they only say "happy birthday" to you because they know that's what you want to hear, and because they realize that when it's their birthday, they want you to say "happy birthday" to them too. Honestly, how often have you been genuinely excited about one of your friend's birthdays (except the fact that you may be going out and doing something fun with a group of your best friends in celebration)? It's just a weird concept, that's all I'm saying. Cynical? Maybe.

Nonetheless, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREW! Wish you weren't halfway around the world so that we could celebrate turning the big 21 with you! (I bet Matthew doesn't write a blog about your birthday, which must mean that I love you more.)

Love, your favorite sibling.



PS - This post by no means gives anyone an exemption from wishing me a happy birthday next week. Birthday cards and baked goods are graciously accepted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instead of thanking our mothers, perhaps we should just curse Eve for bringing the pains of childbirth.

EJ Chang said...

Oh what is this? Someone else who actually believes Adam and Eve existed? Hast my eyes decieved me? All I am taught these days is that we come from apes.

Anonymous said...

Elisabeth may have written you a blog, but I send you an email about 3.5 hours before her, therefore I thought of you first!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY from your "big" brother, sister and niece!

Mary Beth misses you and we do too!

Andrew said...

I completely agree. I don't even like celebrating my birthday. I'd prefer not to be the center of attention. And as gifts go, I think I'm pretty content with what I have.

Birthdays are weird.

And because Matthew says happy birthday from my niece, and you wrote me a blog - I'll call it a drew