Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween ain't happy

I've never understood why people get so hyped up about Halloween.  As a kid I enjoyed it because I got free candy, but since I stopped trick-or-treating, I've sort of despised the holiday. Maybe I've hated it ever since my favorite pet of all time, Chadwick, got killed on Halloween by our rambunctious teenage neighbors for the simple fact that he was a black cat.  Or maybe I find Halloween to be offensive because it's every girl's excuse to dress like a whore once a year, and just blow it off by saying it's a "costume".  

Nonetheless, my distaste for the holiday just increased.  On UK's campus today, an effigy of Barack Obama was found hanging from a tree, with a noose around the neck.  

Deplorable. 

What is this?  1870's Georgia?  The thing that irks me is that you know there are some kids out there laughing their butts off, thinking it was hilarious.  I'm just embarrassed, to be honest. Kentucky really is backwards.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree the actions of a few students on UK's campus on inexcusable; however, if you characterize the entire state this way, you only allow for non-Kentuckians view us all as backwards.

By the way, Elizabeth and I don't like Halloween either. It is a holiday that is centered on Devil worship and why should we participate in such an event as Christians? Every year we find a reason to not be home on Halloween and we go do something fun with just the two of us -- but this year it is three!

Mike West said...

Please include California in your list of backward states. There was an effigy of Sarah Palin hanging in Hollywood, CA and you can include Oregon too. A Christian college there had an effigy of BO.

EJ Chang said...

I definitely don't agree with the effigies of McCain and Palin that have been found elsewhere, but you have to admit that the effigy of B.O. on campus today carries a lot more emotional baggage with it due to the history of the South. The effigies of Palin carry a violent connotation, while B.O.'s has both racist and violent aspects to it. That's the point I'm making.

Anonymous said...

People abuse Halloween just like they abuse every other holiday. People don't need a reason to worship idols. Just because a holiday has questionable roots, doesn't mean it can't be redeemed to a certain extent. Most people don't participate in Halloween for its historical ties, nor are people aware of those historical ties. Kentucky is backwards just as every other state filled with people is backwards.