Saturday, October 4, 2008

Guest Writer #1 - "The Hunted"

I've been looking to bring a little edge to this blog by posting other people's works, opinions, or stories. Much to my delight, this morning I awoke to find this delightful email from my brother who is studying abroad in Russia this semester. I have condensed it due to the impressive length of his email, but making sure not to leave any critical parts out. Please do enjoy.


Today I was to go to a college class in the History department where they are discussing American culture. Alone, I was to embark upon this journey, however, my roommate Russ came along, and praise the Good Lord he did. I showed up at the class, having been told nothing but the time and place. As soon as I met the professor, before she asked our names, she pondered, "What will you be talking about?" To this Russ and I had no response, as we had not been told anything. So we just went for it. We jumped in front of a small class (8 girls and 1 sleeping male) and introduced ourselves. We mentioned differences we witnessed in American culture, and then took questions. It went fairly well, but I wish we had known to prepare for something. My assignment for next week is to teach about American cities. I have given little thought to this as of yet, but I figured I'll talk about Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Washington D.C., Chicago, and maybe some southern city like Nashville or Atlanta. I don't know, that sounds like a lot.

I only made one big plunder today during class. Someone asked about the American view on the Georgia-Russia situation, and I responded that Americans do not understand why Russia attacked Georgia. At the word "attacked" the class jumped. I could tell they were not happy with this interpretation of the events. I tried to explain my way out of that, but I'm not sure how successful I was.

Well, as to the title of this email, Russ and I are learning, nay, experiencing what it feels to be gazelles. Coming to Russia, we were told that Russians may target Americans as fresh meat. After living here four weeks, we considered this myth simply fancies of American minds. Alas, we have discovered this to be otherwise. (Though, I do not have the time for it, I am currently reading The Life and Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner. As I eat out of the palm of Daniel Defoe, I can't help but think it is influencing this very email in which I write to you. I love the way he spells things. In his book, written in the early 18th century, English is spelled as it sounds. It is fun, nay, glorious. But alas, I digress; back to the hunt.

Several nights ago, Russ and I were getting ready for bed and had just turned the lights off when we heard Артён, our Russian friend that we played soccer with that I told you about. Well, he was outside our room, and we could hear the voices of two Russian girls. As our room is out of the way in the dormitory, we thought this strange. A minute or two later we heard a knock on the door. Russ and I scrambled to the threshold, jumping into pants as quickly as we could manage. The door opened and to our surprise, we saw not the likes of man, but that of the lioness. Two girls, Леза and Катя (Lee-zah and Kat-yah… a.k.a. Lisa and Kate), came forth into our room with one purpose; to pounce. A common dorm room quickly transformed into an African savannah. It was every gazelle for himself, and Russ was the prize catch. Since our first meeting, the girls have lost some aggressiveness. We have found them to be normal, friendly girls; though I often worry if the lioness is but hiding under gazelle clothing. Also, Russ is no longer the juiciest of catches, but I have received some attention as well. Russ and I were unsure if they had already paired us off in their minds, as we have always all spent time together. Tonight, we went on a walk with them and we are now under the impression that Lisa likes Russ and Kate likes me. Of course, I am very proud of these results, as Kate knows much more English and is more attractive, in my humble opinion.

As I write this email, Russ is out cleaning out mugs and getting ready because the girls are coming to our room tonight for tea. Oh I think I hear them now. It is fun to actually have Russian friends that speak English, but not a whole lot of English. Also, I must admit that the attention from attractive Russian females is also welcome and enjoyable. We haven't had any serious discussions with them yet –for example, religion – but those things are very personal in Russia. In fact, we had protestant Russians come in to one of our classes as guest lectures, and someone in our group asked them how they came to be saved, and the Russians literally could not answer the question. They sat in shock and did not know how to respond. Religion is simply not a topic of discussion in Russia.

So anyways, back to the girls. We enjoy spending time with them, but we think it is best we get to know them better before we start asking big questions. Another example, we still don't know how they ended up on our doorstep. Russ and I think it best to wait a while before we ask why they chose to knock on our door. But do not worry about Andrew. There has been no romance between anyone nor any physical contact. We just spend time together and talk. Russ and I are just having fun and getting to know Russians. We have no plans of starting relationships. Now, I cannot promise the ultimate outcome of our actions, but I believe we are acting with wisdom, caution, and fun. The guys here have had some good Bible studies and discussions together. Russia has been good.

Until next time,
Andrew the Jones

4 comments:

Mike West said...

Good idea. He should be a regular guest blogger. How many people ever have a chance to journal about Russian adventures?

Alex said...

Tell Andrew a good southern city is Houston!!!!
Good to hear he is doing well... charming the ladies and explaining why America rocks... awesome!

PS- good idea to have a quest blogger!

Daniel W said...

blunder.



that was a well written email. I'm glad he's studying abroad, and studying a broad. way to go.

Andrew said...

If I had known this would be a blog, I probably would have editted it. I like my other email more anyways. Hehe.

I'm glad you liked it enough to put it up. Maybe sometime I'll have to tell you the uncensored version - what actually happened.

Andrew