Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Snowboarding Summarization


  • It took me 2 hours to make it down the first slope on Day 1.
  • On that first run, I fell over 30 times.
  • Around fall 20 (which was a doozy), I broke down in a serious case of tears due to frustration.
  • I literally bruised my bum from all the falls.  Knee, wrist, and elbow bruises are expected, but the gluteus maximus bruise was a first for me.  I would post pictures, but don't want to offend anyone.
  • One time I was on a narrow trail and I was trying to slice back to the left but something went terribly wrong and I fall completely off the slope into a mud pit. Not embarrassing.
  • I said my first reactionary curse word in my life after a fall on the last run of the day on Day 1.  Ashamed to admit it, but it's the truth.
  • Don't go to bed at 8 pm, even if you are so exhausted you think you will die, because you'll wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to sleep the rest of the night.  Thank goodness for Grey's Anatomy Season 1 DVDs.
  • I think Ed and Andrew like each other more than they like me.  Who knew I'd be the third wheel?
  • ALWAYS wear a helmet and knee pads when you snowboard.  They are a girl's best friend. Who needs diamonds anyway?  
  • When we went to get dinner in the village on Day 1, Ed dropped Andrew and I off and then went to park.  30 minutes later he had not come back to join us, and we couldn't get a hold of him because his phone was turned off, so I started to fret.  He finally shows up just and I told him I was worried he'd been attacked or something, and he literally pulled the "pssh, you should have felt sorry for the other guy if that happened" line.  100% serious.  Really, Ed?
  • The second day of boarding is mucho better than the first.  Day 1 fun index: 4/10.  Day 2: 8/10.
  • I have a new appreciation for indigestion.  It hurts.
  • Motion sickness only increases with age for me.  Driving through those back hills of wild, wonderful West Virginia made me want to puke my brains out.
  • I can't sleep in the same bed as someone else.  I am a high maintenance sleeper in that regard.  But I can sleep on the floor or in a sleeping bag in the woods just fine.  Odd.
  • Do I like snowboarding or skiing better?  Skiing.  Will I go snowboarding again? Debatable.  Depends if someone else is paying for the rentals!  :)

Video:  Starts with me flipping up off the ground and then you see Andrew shoot across the screen as he wipes out.  Just keep watching.

5 comments:

Richard said...

Sounds like a typical first snow Boarding attempt. The more you do it the more fun you have with it.

Elizabeth said...

Hilarious. I can completely sympathize with the pain you felt your first day. There is nothing to equal the exhaustion after a full day of snowboarding!

Unknown said...

Indubitably, you readily assimilated the instructional directives and proved to be an ideal snowboarding student. Admittedly, however, I felt some degree of consternation during that first run when you appeared to take me literally to “hit the mountain” as you struck the ground with every part of your body. Hopefully, you suffered no permanent Drain Bamage!

Matthew said...

I love the video. It is great that you had visual evidence of Andrew's struggles as well.

Alex said...

You are braver than me to try boarding! Love the video!