Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Perspective

You know that headache you get after a good, long cry?  That's what I have right now as I sit here in front of my computer screen, trying to forget all the hustle and bustle of a snow day or of the looming biochemistry test, and attempt to put into words what it was like to attend Coach Sallee's funeral this afternoon.  And I know whatever I say, it won't do him justice. Coach truly was the hands, feet, and heart of Jesus here on earth.  He lived to serve others, and he did that so beautifully.  Constantly giving his love and support to everyone who was fortunate to cross paths with him.  And while my biggest regret is that I didn't reach out my hand to him during these last 10 months as he battled cancer, I left the funeral today seeing such an outpouring of love from the LCA, East Jessamine, and church communities.  Coach did not die a lonely man, that is for sure.  He died a man who finally got to be on the receiving end of all the love he had so graciously given out during the last 25 years of ministry, teaching, and coaching.  

Funerals always put life in perspective.  That is going to be one day, laying in a casket in front of a congregation of loved ones.  And it makes you ponder, what are they going to say about me?  Did I live my life for things eternal?  Did I "love God and love people", as Coach always preached every day at basketball practice?  I actually take that back, Coach didn't have to preach that, because we all saw it every day with how he lived.  I pray that I can some day be half the person that he was.  God took a good one home.  I can understand why He wanted him up there with Him!

Here is a link for a video and an article that was printed on the front page of the Lexington Herald Leader last Monday, only four days before he passed away.  What an unbelievable man he was.  I will definitely miss him.


Celebrating the life of Ralph Sallee, 1954-2009.

7 comments:

J Dub said...

He was, and is, a great example. Coach was just a good man.

Mike West said...

He walked the walk. A rarity these days. He will be missed.

Unknown said...

based upon the numbers that attended and the submitted testimonies, i wholeheartedly agree with you...

Andrew said...

i always enjoyed listening to his rhymes

Lyndsey said...

What an awesome video. It really showed the epitome of Coach. He was such an amazing man.

Matthew said...

In honor of coach...

"No hoops today because you did not obey"

"My name is Sallee and I shoot the three"

When I had him for health in ninth grade I always hoped he would hit that half court shot so we could have open gym instead of class.

Elisabeth, I'm glad you were able to say good-bye in the hospital and go to his funeral.

J Dub said...

Lyndsey and I were talking today about exactly what you said, Matt.