Friday, April 4, 2008

I Have A Dream

This is it. I have found it. My new passion. And I've never even done it before. Road bikes have always been this odd obsession of mine. I've had this intense respect for bikers since the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong got so popular a few years back. To be honest, I am not even a fan of Lance, but I envy the dedication and commitment it takes to become a great cycler. People think soccer is grueling? That's nothing compared to climbing mountains on a bicycle.

I just got a new-to-me-but-used mountain bike this week. It's a lot nicer than the one I had. Jerry, the guy who gave it to me, said it would be about $700 new. It was an old police bike that he snatched at the warehouse sale they have every summer for bikes left on A&M's campus. He has done some work on it - new tires, breaks, handle bar, etc. I really like it. I feel like I am flying on it, but he said it's nothing compared to what I would feel like on a road bike. He let me ride his (well, one of his many), and it is incredible. The rush. The exhilaration. I am addicted to speed. I need a road bike.

As everyone knows, I hate to run. Despise it. It is not fun at all. Biking would be a great alternative. Get on my baby, clip in, put in the ipod, and just go wherever the open road takes me. I did it yesterday on my mountain bike and went 6 miles. I can only imagine what kind of damage I could do on a bike that was meant for long distances.

Too bad the lower end of these bikes usually cost around $1500. The one pictured below is $8500. If only I was made of money. And if only I wouldn't be 32 before I earned my first paycheck. Sigh. Until then, I can only dream...or find myself a sugar daddy. :)
The image “http://jowettscycles.co.za/files/images/Specialized%20Road%20Bike%20Tarmac%20Comp%20Double.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

3 comments:

Kay Costilow said...

i'm telling you this much. GET IT! it is worth every penny in sanity alone! I'm quite partial to Specialized bikes too, they are all i've ever had in a mountain bike. my road is Trek but only because the women's was a few hundred dollars cheaper at the time.

point being - buy it. drive to california. bike the pacific coast with me.

Sarah Foster said...

oh my word, is all i've gotta say. when you get one can i have your hand me downs????

EJ Chang said...

Kay, I don't have that kind of money! But as soon as I do, I will purchase one, and I will go out to Cali and bike the entire Pacific coast with you. Seriously.