Monday, April 28, 2008

She's just not that into you

This past weekend I experienced a first in my 23 years of existence: two dates with two different guys in two days. Now I know what you're thinking: "but you're so hot and athletic and smart and funny, why is every guy not falling at your feet?" I know. Crazy, eh? But that's just not the case. I do not get wooed by guys very often. In fact, I was on a year-long dry spell of dating up until this past month. But that is besides the point. And I don't know why I just felt like sharing that with the world, but it's out there now. Anyway, apparently I'm giving off an "I'm available" vibe right now, or as one friend believes, I am just now expressing that gene. Whatever the case, I am confused as to why this all had to happen when I am moving to KY in a week and a half.

But I learned a lot in the past week because of these dates. It was a semi-stressful weekend, full of multiple awkward and "did that just happen?" moments. But you live and you learn and you eventually laugh.

My personal notes on the events:
  1. Don't spend 10 hours making a girl an origami box to ask her out on a first date. It freaks her out. Too much effort. Too little mystery left.
  2. On a first date, do not take a girl out to the nicest place in town for dinner and drop $200. It makes her feel like she owes you something afterwards.
  3. When you take a girl home on the first date, don't expect to go inside with her when you drop her off. And if you do happen weasel your way in, do not go in, walk straight into her room, and lay on her bed. Sends the wrong signals.
  4. Foot scratches are a no-go. Feet are flat out a no-fly zone. And when she pushes you away, don't try again 30 minutes later.
  5. Don't show up on a first date with a bottle of wine and a CD for the girl. Overdoing it.
  6. When a girl says that she's tired and continues to yawn, making the obnoxious yawning sound as she does it, take the hint that she wants the date to end.
  7. When a girl ignores your emails and phone calls, don't randomly show up on her doorstep in full-out biking gear and ask her to join you.
My question is: How do I end it with someone I've only gone on one date with? Is the silent treatment acceptable?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

-Don't call a girl twice in 30 min!!!! Especially after a message and letter!

Oh my goodness! I love it! Boy has it been a CRAZY week in the Hereford house!!!

mike wilkins said...

there are MANY worse things than being single (as you are finding out) ... :)

Sarah Foster said...

what if the poor chap reads this???

EJ Chang said...

That's a risk I was willing to take so that other guys could learn from this experience. And so I could get a laugh out of a few of you.

Anonymous said...

You were wondering in another blog post why guys don't step up and ask out girls. This right here is why.

Anonymous said...

Stepping up and asking a girl out is one thing (I think the origami was an interesting idea), forcing yourself into the house and then into the bedroom and then rubbing someone's feet is another.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason guys don't step up and ask girls out. It's always someone else's fault.

EJ Chang said...

I was ok with the origami box at first (a little overwhelmed, but I appreciated his creativity), but when you combine that with everything else he did, that's when it starts to freak me out a bit.

This post is not meant to scare guys from asking girls out. It is to help guys know the limits of how far to go on a first date.

Lyndsey said...

Haha!!! That is amazing.

William said...

Origami box... ha! I'll cross that off my wooing techniques list.

Richard said...

E.J. throughly enjoyed the post. I noticed in the various comments that no one answered the question at the end of your blog. The silent treatment is not the best answer although it may work for you since your moving soon. i would suggest that if he asks you out again simply say no, but other wise remain pleasant with him... although in your description he did appear to be a weird one.

Anonymous said...

LOVE you. You gotta be honest with the poor guy. You can't blame him for falling for you. I mean, come on, look at you. But yes, I think it's ridiculous that you have to "break up" with someone you only went on one date with. Just tell him no next time he asks you out and if he asks why tell him you're not feeling it. Basically what you have done, however, is called it off via blogspot. That's a new one. Poor kid. Someday he'll get a very attention deprived insecure girl who eats up every bit of the attention. You'll get more of a mystery man.

And come on, boys will always step up and ask girls out at some point. We all know they can't live without us.

Anonymous said...

We can live without yall a lot of the time, however, I will agree this guy is completely crazy. I may be late, but if he calls again you should text him the link to this post. That should fix the problem (if anonymous #1 is not him).

Daniel W said...

I think there are a couple of important points here.

-$200 for dinner is too much
-origami is not too much
-rubbing the feet attempt 1, NOT too much
-attempt 2, WAY too much
-CD, probably not too much... esp. if common bond of music shared
-flowers prob OK


-sometimes its hard to guys to "take the lead" when confronted with strength. its important to know that quietness is not weakness, nor is it hyper-submission.

-if he did all the things you said he did, chances are very high that he is anonymous #1. no doubt he reads your blog.