Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Here's to You, 2007

2007 (whoop!) proved to be a crazy, exciting, and life-changing year, and probably the most challenging year of my life. I am sure I will have harder years to come, but 2007 will always live in infamy. Let me just say that it was far from uneventful, from soccer to boys to med school applications, my life was never boring. Please sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride down memory lane (the good, the bad, the ugly).

After much thought and input from the massive EJ Explains blog entourage (ok fine, 2 people), the following have been voted upon as the most memorable moments of 2007...


  • FAVORITE A&M - I went fountain hopping on A&M's campus this past April, hitting every single fountain on campus. I have never laughed so hard in my life, as we sprinted across campus, completely drenched, soaking in all the funny lucks we received for being so "red ass". God Bless Texas A&M.

  • FUNNIEST - Two-stepping with Sarah, Kent, and his roommates at Harry's, and Kent decides he wants to try some jitterbug moves with me. I willingly agreed, never the type to back down from anything, and we went to the side of the dance floor to practice before doing it in the middle where all the Aggie Wranglers were dancing. He told me he would throw me up above his head and all I had to do was spin around and stay stiff and he would catch me easily in the threshold. Well he jerks me up, I spin, everything is going great, and then BAM, I hit the floor hard. Everyone around us immediately looks over in our direction, but I hop up, trying not to embarrass Kent for not catching me, and determined to get it right. So of course, we try again. Attempt 2...BOOM...this time I land on my shoulder. Attempt 3...land on my back. Attempt 4...stomach. After that, we had the attention of half of Harry's; Kent was dying, he felt so bad, and I was cracking up hysterically. A guy walked up to me, handed me his business card, and said "You may want to call me tomorrow". I looked down to see he was a chiropractor. Needless to say, that is the last time I will let Kent do anything like that with me. Either he needs to hit the weight room or I need to lose a few pounds, probably the latter.

  • SADDEST - Getting upset in the 2nd Round of the NCAA tournament to t.u., putting an end to my soccer career. I felt like I was living a nightmare during the last 15 minutes of the game, and when the clock struck 00:00, the tears started falling, the clouds opened up and it began pouring, and I had to watch the t-sips celebrate their first-ever victory in Aggieland. And the only thing our assistant coach had to say to us after the game as we were all sobbing, absolutely devastated was, "get off my field...GET OFF!"

  • WEIRDEST - Kat Krambeer and I played detective this summer as we found out first-hand that one of our best friends had been living a lie and had convinced us that her old fiancĂ© had died of a brain aneurism last year, that she was engaged to another guy and was getting married this past August (we were both to be bridesmaids in the wedding), that she was dying of cancer, and that she has had 2 emergency surgeries on her brain and heart to save her life in the past year. All lies.


  • SWEETEST - Flying into College Station after Christmas break, going home to find my bedroom covered in rose petals and Hershey kisses.

  • MOST IRONIC - Being told by my pre-med advisor that I have a "very, very small chance of getting into any medical school" because I was applying so late and because my MCAT and clinical experiences were sub-par. She told me that I should not even apply this year and wait until next year. Thank you University of Kentucky College of Medicine. =)

  • MOST EMBARRASSING - Playing absolutely horrible in the first game of the season and losing my starting position to a freshman. I completed one pass that game, in front of 5000+ fans. Yikes!

  • MOST THOUGHT PROVOKING - Mankind lost one of its finest, Spencer Green, when he left us at the tender age of 24, losing his battle to cancer in September. Although I did not know him long, he left an unimaginable mark on my life and everyone else's life who was ever fortunate enough to meet him. The Lord blessed him with incredible musical talents and the ability to bring a smile to anyones face. He showed me what living with hope and joy looks like even in the midst of trials and tribulation. I will do my best to "enjoy every sandwich", just like he did.

  • PROUDEST PERSONAL- Beating most of the strength and conditioning records during spring testing. I hold the A&M soccer record in the 60m and 150m suicides and the vertical jump (which tied the all-time record of A&M women's athletics). My hang clean was also first on the team. I may not be that good on the field, but at least I am good in the weight room. Although I wasn't able to beat out Paige as the "Iron Aggie". Oh snap.

5 comments:

Richard said...

Didn't know you had weight room skills. out of curiosity what was the vertical jump?

EJ Chang said...

standing vert is 27 inches

Richard said...

hmm figured it would have been higher since you tied a record and all. at any event good job.

EJ Chang said...

thanks?

Anonymous said...

thank you for your life. i laugh all the time.

(there, how's that for a "comment?") :)